Friday, March 4, 2022

The Top Is Done!

 Well, I managed to get the top finished yesterday, thanks to Thing 1 for the use of her machine after mine died. My new machine came today and it's the BOMB! (I know, showing my age, I don't care!) I'm hoping I get a few years out of it at least.

This was very much a lesson in mixed media use and what not to do. I used a kit purchased from Colorado Creations Quilting called Genna and Gerry which you can also buy as just the pattern. The woman does a wonderful job putting the batiks together in the kit. Everything blended together, no jarring out of place colors, the instructions are clear though I must admit, I much prefer doing 9 patch in a strip rather than actual patches, but it worked. This was my first time using batik however and the jury is out on whether to wash them first or not. I opted not to. I rather wish I would have prior to starting, but I'm not sure how much of a difference it would have made.

Batik by nature is rather stiff and feels thicker to hand than the panel that it surrounds. The panel also has quite a bit of give because it's lightweight and the batik is not. The dye and wax used in the color process for the batik makes it...less than giving. I don't know if that would change had I washed it first, but I have another kit I'll be working on later in the year so I might try washing that to see if it makes a difference. 

I'm also hoping to get just the plain part of the border machine quilted which will cut down a bit on time for me, but I'm waiting for the woman who does the long arm to call me back. I don't know if she'll just do the border and if so, if I'll need to quilt the panel first or not. So, Monday, it's off to buy the cotton batting and my Gutermann thread along with some other threads I'm thinking will work. In the meantime, here's the top, finished and waiting for the next step. I think I like it.



2 comments:

  1. Hey, that turned out pretty nice. Good job!

    I left a comment on your last post on how to get comment notifications. I really rely on them. For some reason there are a couple of regulars who don't show up in my email, but their comments still get through. It's probably due to the browsers they use or maybe they use a private browser.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like it. Thing 2 will like it, I'm pretty sure. If she doesn't, I'll just bring it back home. Problem solved ;)

    I did comment on the other one. I can't enter anything in that box, so there must be something else I'm missing.

    ReplyDelete