Monday, February 28, 2022

And Once Again...

 I cut out my nine patch pieces. I'm not happy with sewing nine patch like this. I prefer the strip method by far to piecing them individually but this is the way the kit came. The fabric for the patches were all cut in large squares rather than strips so I had no choice. It's very tedious though and time consuming and makes it harder to match up and consequently square up the blocks, but I digress. I managed to get through eight of the nine blocks and once again, my Singer machine broke. 

This is my third Singer. I will never buy another. They all, at least for me, have the same inherent problem. The bobbin jams. Badly. And usually when I'm either at the end of what I'm sewing or when I'm in the middle of something delicate. I'd had the machine repaired and cleaned just prior to the pandemic and then had done several small hand pieces so hadn't used it. This is the first time I pulled it out since having it serviced. This time, it lasted about two hours. I have one block left.

The only Singer I have ever had that worked flawlessly is the treadle machine I learned to sew on that was my mother's machine. All it did was sew. I did one thing. It sewed in a straight line. It didn't go backward, didn't do buttons, it sewed only as fast as I worked the treadle. It was the very best machine I've ever used. I still have it. I'm half tempted to get it cleaned and gone through. Maybe I'd have better luck with it. In the meantime, I'm off to borrow my daughter's Brother. Maybe I can get the top pieced and ready before I run out of time.



4 comments:

  1. Many, many moons ago I thought I would learn to make clothes. (I hated every minute of it!)

    I bought a Singer. After sitting in my closet for several years, I finally put it in my garage sale. These two women kept fiddling with it, even going so far as running a piece of scrap on it to see how it worked.

    They balked at the price, but I thought it was fair. They probably lingered more than twenty minutes never stepping away from the machine in case someone else was interested. Finally they paid my asking price and whisked it off as if they had stolen it.

    They were an odd pair.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I knew how to get Blogger to tell me when there is a comment. I haven't figured that out yet. I also haven't figured out how to nest replies. I should have probably stuck with Wordpress. I understand Wordpress.

    My new post is up with the finished top, but I have to say, my daughter's Brother was a dream to sew on. Since I can't do that Husqvarna, I'll take the Brother for now. I hope it lasts. I'm just going to put my old machine at the road with the bad of stuff taped to it. More power to anyone who can get it working for more than an hour or two.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For notification, go to Blogger Settings, scroll down to where it says Email, then to Comment notification email. Click it and it should allow you to input an email address to where you want your notifications to come through.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It says There Are No Emails and doesn't give me a way to enter one. I might migrate this all over to Wordpress. I remember now why I quit using Blogger in the first place. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete